In 1807 a major tribal battle, Te Kai-a-te-karoro took place at Moremonui, between the local Ngati Whatua warriors and the invading Nga Puhi from further south . It was the first time muskets had been used in tribal warfare. The Nga Puhi who had muskets were brought down by the superior might of the Ngati Whatua. A monument has been laid on Ripiro Beach to commemorate the battle.

The Kaipara coastline is a graveyard for ships with 113 shipwrecks recorded, but locals know of 153 wreck sites. The first shipwreck was the Aurora, a fully rigged, 550 tonne ship and the last was the yacht Aosky in June 1994.

Baylys beach is now home to a three masted, 36 gun, French Man O War, L Alcmene, which met its fate here in 1815.

Noel Hilliam, a local amateur historian and curator of the Dargaville Maritime Museum found the wreck in January 1977, after many years of searching. He managed to salvage many relics from the wreck, which can be found at the Maritime Museum.
A commemoration plaque was erected at the lookout on the road to Baylys Beach.